Botanical garden stretches along the Mihanović street and makes the integral part of the Zagreb Green Horseshoe. It extends at a sufrace of around 4.7 ha and has ten thousand plant species from Croatia and the whole world including some endangered ones. The Faculty of Nature and Mathematics owns this garden, and Antun Heinz (1861 – 1919) was the founder. The first plants were planted in 1892, after some preparatory work. Already by the end of that year, the garden was completed: it got ponds, artificcial hills, bridges, and even some artificial caves. The majority of the garden is the park – arboretum. It was made in English garden style, and the flower floor in the central and west part of the garden shaped in historical style, with strictly symmetrical lines.
Ribnjak is the park stretching along the east walls of Kaptol. It was named after the bishopric ponds that existed here until the 19th century. Then the whole area was transformed into an English type garden, with waterfalls, exotic plants and decorative statues. It was bishop Alagović who, in 1829, initiated the arrangement of the park. Ribnjak was to become the park of sculptures as well but the idea was never fully realised. At the moment it has only two monuments, Shame by Antun Augustinčić, and the monument to Croatian poet Ivan Goran Kovačić. Today, the park covers the area of almost 40 000 square meters and has thirty year old yew, old plant of Atlas cedar-tree, many magnolia trees and liquidambars. The street along the east side of the park Ribnjak bears the same name.
Maksimir Park is situated in the eastern part of the town. It was open to public in 1794 and was the first public promenade in this part of the Europe. It was named after its founder, the Zagreb bishop Maksimilian Vrhovec (1752 – 1827) who, apart from the archbishop Haulik, took the credit for its arrangement.
Maksimir is arranged in the place of part of the oak woods in the middle of the 19th century. In the new park the paths were arranged surrounded by meadows and clearings full of decorative flowers and bushes. The park was enriched with monuments and various style buildings. The Swiss house, the Viewpoint, The Doorman hut and the Echo Pavilion have been preserved as well as several park sculptures.
Six gardens, belonging to canon houses on Kaptol, stretched to the west Kaptol wall, and after the World War II they were transformed into the public promenade. The west Kaptol wall is well seen in this park. It is built of irregular stones, and it is 65-70 cm thick. In the north-west corner of the park there is the best preserved four side Kaptol tower, called the Priššlin tower. It belonged to house at number 15 on Kaptol. From the Priššlin tower, the north Kaptol wall stretches to the Kaptol street. During the summer the stage is put in the park where theatrical performances are held
Park Maksimir with the Viewpoint
Several paths through the woods that spread around the central hill in stalike manner make the view point the important building of the Romanic landscape art.